Who Should Apply:
- Carers working with Older People
- Those planning a career in a healthcare setting who require a formal qualification
- Family members caring for relatives in a home setting
- Care of the Older Person and Care Skill are the two mandatory modules that Healthcare providers look for from job applicants along with People Moving and Handling Training before they start work
Care of the Older Person has been designed to equip learners with the knowledge, skills and competence necessary to care effectively and empathetically for the older person in a range of settings. The learners will gain a broad understanding of age related issues and the supports and services available to older people in Ireland. Learners will consider the various needs that must be addressed when providing care to older people with varying levels of dependence, including end of life care.
Learners will explore the importance of good communication with their own team, the person they are caring for and their families. It is intended that this module will help to prepare learners for employment in nursing homes or as a healthcare assistants working as part of mutli-disciplinary teams working for public or private home-care providers.
- Unit 1: Ageing Process
- Unit 2: Working with the Older Person
- Unit 3: Caring for the Older Person with Specific Needs
- Unit 4: Care Settings.
- Level 4 Certificate, or Leaving Cert, and/or equivalent qualifications, or relevant life and work experience.
- Students must be working/ or on work experience in the Healthcare Sector/ or have experience of working with older people as assignments will require learners to draw upon practical experience.
- Good level of English, written and spoken.
Safety & Health at Work
Infection Prevention & Control
Patient Moving & Handling