Who Should Apply:
- Carers working with Older People
- Those planning a career in a healthcare setting who require a formal qualification
- Family members caring for relatives in a home setting
- Care Skills and Care of the Older Person are the two mandatory modules that Healthcare providers look for from job applicants along with People Moving and Handling Training before they start work (whilst working toward their Health Services Skills QQI Level 5 Major Award on an ongoing basis)
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the relevant knowledge skills and competence to care for clients to enable them to work effectively in a safe and hygienic environment in all healthcare settings and identify relevant groups of people in need of health care. It includes the following:
Examine the physical, emotional, social, psychological and spiritual needs of a range of groups of people
Identify the hygiene needs of dependent clients
Discuss the prevention of pressure sores
Demonstrate knowledge of the correct procedures for the cleaning and replacement of a range of patient equipment
Demonstrate a range of interpersonal skills when dealing with clients
Contribute to the maintenance of safe and hygienic environments
Assist clients with dressing, grooming, eating, drinking, toileting, continence promotion, mobility and where appropriate, social needs
Apply client safety and security procedures
Give assistance to clients in the use of a range of care equipment
Skills Demonstration 60%
- Unit 1: Understanding Client Care
- Unit 2: Using Equipment
- Unit 3: Assisting Skills
- Level 4 Certificate, or Leaving Cert, and/or equivalent qualifications, or relevant life and work experience.
- Students must be working/ or on work experience in the Healthcare Sector/ or have experience of working with older people as assignments will require learners to draw upon practical experience.
- Good level of English, written and spoken.
on successful completion of the course, participants will receive a QQI level 5 Care Skills
This is a component certificate: Care of the Older Person 5N2706 is one of 8 modules that can lead to a level 5 Major Award in Health Service Skills 5M3782, Healthcare Support 5M4339 or Nursing Studies 5M4325. 5N2770 is an optional module of these major awards .
Safety & Health at Work
Care of the Older Person
Infection Prevention & Control
Patient Moving & Handling